[mew-dist 19875] iso-8859-1

Kazu Yamamoto ( 山本和彦 ) kazu at example.com
2001年 12月 19日 (水) 17:19:37 JST

FAQ ですが、FYI ということで mew-dist にも流します。FAQ の 2.1 にして
下さい。(つまり、2 章の先頭にしてね。)

Q. I'm living the ISO-8859-1 (Latin-1) world. How can I configure Mew?

A. If you are using "emacs" with the "--unibyte" option or the
   EMACS_UNIBYTE environment variable, you should configure "emacs"
   correctly. Put the folloing into your ".emacs"

	(set-language-environment "Latin-1")
	(set-input-method "latin-1-prefix") ;; or "latin-1-postfix"

   If you use the following configuration, please remove it.

	(standard-display-european 1)

   This is a obsoleted way for ISO-8859-1 and Mew doesn't work with
   this.

   BTW. You should think why you want to use emacs with the "unibyte"
   feature, instead of the "multibyte" feature. If you are not using
   special Elisp packages written for Emacs 19, there is no reason to
   stay with the "unibyte" world.

   It's worth taking a time to jump into the multibyte world. Unset
   the EMACS_UNIBYTE environment variable and execute "emacs" without
   the "--unibyte" option. Of course, the following configuration is
   necessary.

	(set-language-environment "Latin-1")
	(set-input-method "latin-1-prefix") ;; or "latin-1-postfix"

   Now you can display Japanese, Korea, Chinese, as well as
   English/Latin-1.

--かず